Friday, July 17, 2009

Start Spreadin' the News

Obviously, all of you out there know I am pregnant and have known for sometime now. Well, so does every stranger I see now (and it is not because I have told them). Whether it be the grocery store, airport, the pool, getting my haircut, the cleaners, etc. There is something new, weird, or different I learn every week about either my body, the baby, or just pregnancy in general. And making new friends with strangers has become the latest hit. It seems that in the last week I have not gone one place where someone has not stopped me and said, "Oh, When are you due?!" I answer and the next question is also always the same, "Is it a boy or girl?" I answer that one too and say, "I don't know, we are not finding out."
THEN, that is where the conversation really begins and becomes quite hilarious, actually. No more questions from the strangers -only thoughts, opinions, advice, and any other comments that come to mind. They look you up and down, try and guess (or just tell you) why they are just sure it is a boy or a girl. I have a cashier friend at Publix now who is dying for me to have a little girl so she can give me all her daughter's old toys. When I was standing in line for a bathroom one day, a lady told me to name the baby "Mona" if it was a girl. So random and she was serious! I had another lady so worried I had not had a correct ultrasound because she didn't believe I was only at 25 weeks. She was so sure I should be way past that due to the size of my belly. Some say, "Oh, you look adorable" and others say, "Wow, you are huge!" You kind of have to ignore it all and laugh.
You really never know what someone is about to say, but regardless of what they say, it is refreshing to talk someone you would never speak to or even notice otherwise sometimes. We get so caught up in our own lives that we might say "Thank you" or "Have a nice day" to the man behind the counter at the post office or the grocery, but it is different to actually talk and listen. There is something wonderful about babies that make people excited and joyful. And that same thing makes people want to just talk to you and share with you all about their children and their experiences. It really is so sweet (even if they say some odd things too). This all caught me very off guard at first, but I will say now it is one of my favorite things about pregnancy. I love listening to the people I see in the same stores probably every week since I have lived here and now I know more about their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment