Thursday, September 23, 2010

Life as a Parent

Almost weekly I have these moments where reality hits me and I think to myself "Oh my gosh, I am a mom." You would think this fact would have set in by now but it is still so surreal most days. Well, John and I felt last night was our my official induction into the society of parenthood. Here is how the night went down...

(disclaimer- if you have a weak stomach this may not be the post for you to read!)

11:30pm- John and I are heading to bed and go into C's room to see her. Yes, we are such first parents and do this every night. It is not even to check on her we just like to go in and peek at her sleeping soundly. (I am aware this will probably never happen with other children). Ok, back on track. I immediately smell something and I reach to touch C and around her. To avoid being very descriptive, she is wet and I feel something very gross and just icky.

11:35- turn on night light to get a better glance

11:36- Oh goodness. It is what we thought. Vomit everywhere. PJs. Hair. Sheets. Lovie. Bumper. Everywhere. C is still sound asleep.

11:37- I take C out of bed and start a bath while John strips her bed. Check for fever. no fever. Relieved. Good sign.

11:40- bathing sweet girl who is so confused and still half asleep. I am trying not to gag myself.

11:50- John and I trade places as he is getting more grossed out cleaning up the bed. I start to tackle the bed. JP gets C out of the bath and dressed into clean PJs.

12:00am As I am cleaning up I realize I do not have an extra mattress pad or wet pad (that goes between the sheet and mattress pad as a buffer).

Lesson #1- Always buy an extra mattress pad and wet pad for crib. (I do have extra sheets. I am not that bad). I specifically remember registering and thinking why would I need two of those? I will just wash them when the baby is awake and not in the crib. HA! Well, what happens when it is in the middle of the night and the baby needs to go back to sleep!

12:08- bed is now set up with only a clean fitted sheet. No bumper, no mattress pad. It will have to do for the night.

12:15- C is dressed and clean. Still smells to me but again clean enough for the night. Begin to rock her.

12:17- C gets sick again sitting in my lap. Most helpless thing I have ever witnessed. I yell for John to come back in the room. I will spare the details here but second clean up process begins.

12:30- Call my mom for questions, affirmation, and sympathy.

12:45- Put baby girl back to bed. Begin to clean myself up.

1am- C is okay. Laugh with John that this just happened and we are real parents. If we thought we were "playing house" before, we are not anymore!

7:30am- sick baby watching Barney.


3 comments:

  1. Leigh! What a night! I am still wondering how I'm ever going to clean up my children's throw up without throwing up myself. You did it! haha. Way to go, #1 mom. So glad C is feeling better. She looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Leigh, I just read this allowed to aimee and john. This excites them very much about parenthood....hahaha!
    That pic of c is precious! Sweet lil babygirl! Can't wait to spend time with her tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is funny. Now you need to tell "the rest of the story".
    Mom

    ReplyDelete