Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter

I have to admit Easter is my favorite holiday and one of my favorite times of the year. Christmas is always a child’s favorite holiday though, right? Not for me, even as a little girl it has always been Easter. Growing up Easter was all about a new dress for church, a day you could officially bring out your white and seersucker for the season, the onset of warm weather, Easter baskets with eggs full of pastel colored candy, and the amazing Easter egg hunt at my grandparent’s house. While I still love these things (and who doesn’t?!), it wasn’t until later in life that Easter held a larger meaning to me.
Last week as I was reading and reflecting on Holy week, I read several verses about this topic: Luke 9:18 where Jesus asks his disciples, “Who do the crowds say I am?” In Matthew 21, those crowds called Him a king, a prophet, and a teacher. The same crowds who called Jesus those words, crucified him just days later.
In light of these scriptures, I’ve reflected on who Jesus is to me? I heard a quote last week that said, “Most people make Jesus someone they can live with instead of someone they cannot live without.” I pray Jesus is someone I continually cannot live without. At different times in my life and depending on certain circumstances I face, Jesus shows me he is a provider, a father, a faithful friend, an encouragement, a listening ear, and much more.
No matter what my joys or struggles, Jesus will always constantly be my Savior and my hope. Those who call him Lord, He freely gives life. As believers, Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection give us life and hope in Him. And because of that Easter will continue to be my favorite time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment